Saturday, September 4, 2010

There is something I think you should know about me....



I REALLY like dragonflies!  I haven't always been partial to them.  Until about 11 years ago I didn't give them much thought at all.  Then, I met Jamie.  I worked with her and one day she casually mentioned that she liked dragonflies.  For Christmas I bought her a dragonfly hair clip.  Before I could give it to her she mysteriously disappeared.  She's fine of course, she just quite her job and relocated.  Anyway, I kept the clip in a box for several months.  When I finally admitted to myself that I wasn't going to be seeing her again anytime soon, I opened the box and used the clip myself.  I really liked it.  My affinity for the hair clip made me start to notice dragonflies more.  They are amazing creatures!  Their wings alone are so intricate that you could just ponder them for hours and when you look really closely at their eyes, there is some kind of grid pattern on them made up of all these tiny little sections.  Each kind of dragonfly is completely different.  The tail end on one may look like crinkled paper while on another it resembles dolphin skin, soft and easily scratched but still incredibly smooth.  Their little faces are adorable, I must say.  Some have what looks like a nose and if you watch them really closely you may see their mouths open and close.  They truly are awe inspiring creatures.  God is astonishingly creative!

Anyway, today was the opening reception of an art show at the Boyce Thompson Arboretum in Surprise, AZ.  I have a piece in the show.  Of course, I can't go to the Arboretum and not walk around taking pictures!  It is incredible there.  Here are a few of my favorite dragonfly pictures from this morning's trip.  Enjoy!  Oh, by the way, the show runs until Sept. 30th.  If you get a chance, check it out and let me know what you think.  I'd also like to say a special "Thank you" to all my wonderful friends and family members who made the trip out there this morning to share this experience with me.  You are fantastic and I had a wonderful time!  And now, with no further ado, I give you Dragonflies!




















When I've finished editing them, these pictures will be available to purchase on my website.  You may also purchase greeting cards of them by contacting me at itlphoto@cox.net.

Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    Oh, I am so glad we met too! You were on the SuziBlu chat right?
    I love dragonflies! I have a dragonfly necklace and butterfly necklaces. For some reason, I am very drawn to their beauty. God is so good isn't He? He created such things that have that little bit of dash of color just to give us interest. The Pearlescent and opalescent colors are wonderful!
    I love your writing, your topics and would like to be a pen pal.
    How long have you been a christian? It has been about 28 years for me now.
    I like you, this summer am so busy. It was so hot here in New England, I couldn't even stand outside to water. I lost alot of plants and bushes and trees started drying up too! Great with the apples though. I have made applesauce twice now.
    Your daughters are lovely. I have five children but not young anymore 15-26 and a grandson. Hard to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Crystal,
    I was not on the SuziBlu chat. I found your blog from the Creative Every Day site.
    God is good! Yes, I'm so glad He created such beautiful creatures. I really enjoy photographing them and studying their little intricacies. I photographed a bunch of butterflies on the same day as these dragonflies, I'll work on them as soon as I finish the dragonflies (so stay tuned)!
    I'm so glad that you enjoy reading my blog! I agree, pen pals sounds great. I got saved in junior high, so it's actually been 22 years now, wow! I'll have to write my testimony out as a blog someday. Thanks for the idea.
    I remember how hot it gets back East. The humidity really gets you. I noticed on your page that you have some pictures of San Xavier in Tucson. I used to live pretty close to there and have several pictures of it myself, small world!
    I look forward to hearing more from you. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete