Monday, September 6, 2010

I Want to Be More Like My Daughters

Tonight my husband and I played a game of duck-duck-goose with our two oldest daughters.  There were a few things that surprised me in the game.  The first was how quickly I was breathing heavily and the second was similar, how dizzy I got!  The third was how eager my daughters were to be the goose.  As I was duck, duck, ducking around the circle, my three year old called out in giddy exhilaration, "Pick me, pick me!"  My first thought was to correct her, "Hope, don't yell out to be chosen, just wait your turn."  Thankfully I thought before I said anything and just made another round of the circle.  I considered whether or not I should reward that kind of behavior, I mean, Emma was sitting quietly in anticipation without yelling out.  Then I looked at Hope's little face, she was beaming with excitement and overflowing with enthusiasm.  She couldn't help but giggle as she rocked back and forth just at the thought of being chosen.  That's when I remembered the verse in Isaiah, namely Is 6:8 "8Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?” Then I said, “Here am I. Send me!”"  Wasn't I, by walking around that circle patting people on the head basically saying, "Whom shall I choose?"  I suddenly knew my answer to my question.  Yes, she should be rewarded for that behavior.  I tapped her on the head and said, "Goose!"  She bounce up and chased me around the tiny circle, twice (almost catching me), giggling hysterically as she went.  Her eagerness was rewarded, and although it seems like an odd prize, getting to chase Mama around was a thrill for her.  


I am so proud of the eagerness my girls have to participate in games and in life.  I remember being so scared as a kid and secretly hoping that no one would pick me.  I was sure that I didn't measure up to everyone else and didn't want to be embarrassed when it was obvious that I didn't have what it took.  Sometimes I still think that way.  Thankfully the Lord is showing me more every day how complete I am in Him and that I do have all that it takes because He supplied it all when He gave is life on the cross.  I am free to participate in life without fearing that I don't measure up because He is more than enough!  IICor 5:17, II Cor. 3:4-6






1 comment: