Tuesday, September 28, 2010

My Friend's Art

So, I mentioned in my last blog entry that I got a chance to visit a friend.  While I was at her house she asked, giggling, if I wanted to see the painting she had done in an oil painting class that she took on a whim.   Here is her painting.



I had to take a quick picture of her painting because I was amazed at what she had done.  Now, this friend of mine is not someone who practices art.  In fact, the last time she painted anything (art wise), she was 13 and it was a painting she did in school!  I asked more about this class she had taken.  It was a one time, six hour class.  The teacher taught for the first three hours and then they had three hours to paint.  Three hours to paint and THIS is what my friend, who hasn't painted since she was thirteen and took the class on a whim, comes up with.  I was amazed.  I am still amazed.  I'm so painter, I'm a photographer, but I was really impressed with this painting, the blending in the mountains and how she handled the reflection on the water.  I haven't done any painting since college, but my recollection is that oil paintings took a long time to complete and she did this in three hours.  What do you think?  Am I rightly impressed?  I'm curious to hear what some of you artists say about this, should I be encouraging my friend to take some more classes?

Thank you for your opinions.

1 comment: